Anton Hopen is a Board-Certified, U.S. Registered Patent attorney and managing partner of Smith & Hopen, P.A.
- Managing Partner, Smith & Hopen: 1999-Present
- President, National Academy of Inventors, USF Chapter: 2016-2017
- Director and Founder, USF Young Innovator Competition: 2009-2016
- Associate Attorney, Lott & Friedland, PA: 1998-1999
- Assistant State Attorney, 6th Judicial Circuit: 1995-1998
- Registered U.S. Patent Attorney
- Board Certified in Intellectual Property by the Florida Bar
- Graduate of UF Law, Elected Student Body Chancellor
- Graduate of USF Honors Program in Interdisciplinary Science
- Admitted to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- Admitted to all Federal Courts in Florida
Anton Hopen is an Honors College graduate of the University of South Florida in Interdisciplinary Science. In addition, he is a graduate of the University of Florida College of Law. Moreover, at UF Law he received the Presidential Recognition Award for Outstanding Achievement. Furthermore, at the University of Florida, he won election as Student Body Chancellor and chief justice of the Honor Court. Prior to his career in intellectual property law, he served as a felony criminal prosecutor for the 6th Judicial Circuit of Florida. Additionally, as a trial attorney, he conducted over fifty (50) jury trials to verdict as lead counsel.
Court and Agency Admissions
Anton Hopen practices before the United States Patent & Trademark Office. In addition, he is admitted to all United States District Courts in Florida, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He is experienced in patent prosecution, trademark registration, inter partes review before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and contested cases before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Certifications and Recognition
The Wall Street Journal and Money Magazine have recognized Mr. Hopen as an expert authority in intellectual property law. In addition, Mr. Hopen holds and “AV” rating by Martindale-Hubble. Significantly, this is the highest possible rating. Furthermore, he is Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law by the Florida Bar.
Anton Hopen has extensive speaking experience. For example, he has presented at the BioFlorida Annual Conference, FSU, Moffitt, UF Law and FAMU. In addition, he has lectured for the US Department of Defense, USF, UCF, and NAI. Additionally, he spoke for the Florida Bar, Hillsborough Bar Association and many other organizations.